Monday, April 21, 2014

A Love Letter

Dear Instagram and Hashtag,

Our relationship started simple with just another social media app. I posted the occasional picture and the exact same people from Facebook would comment. It was really totally pointless.

Then I discovered the world of hashtags (yes I am one of those people). What I discovered was the power of #fostercare. Yes, that one thing would change my life (not exaggerating). #fostercare introduced me to my new family of foster parents.

My new Instagram foster family spans North America (ok just U.S. and Canada) and is made up of the greatest women. Most of us have never and will never know each other in real life (although we would love to change that), but our bond is real. We are in the trenches fighting for these children. Children that have had to suffer for whatever reason. Children that others have turned their backs on.

We celebrate each others successes, pray for each others needs, and cry with each other at our defeats. We are able to be open and honest with each other and relate in a way that only another foster parent can understand.

Today I want to say thank you Instagram and thank you stupid hashtags. I thought I was a bit too old and silly for both of you and boy was I wrong. You helped me find my people... my #fostercarecrew.

Love,
rhenderson09

No comments:

Post a Comment